Home Remedies For Cold – No matter how much you try to protect yourself from the winters, cold is something that does not spare anyone, (neither me nor you).
Top Best Home Remedies for Cold That Works
we can’t slow down the impact of temperature but surely can beat cold that we are suffering from by using some natural Home Remedies For Cold. Home remedies are best to cure a cold but if the issue still persists you should consult a doctor.
But before diving deep into this article, please have a look to know why people catch cold
- A virus is the main source of cold, it can enter your body through mouth, eyes or nose so make sure to maintain a distance from people who are already suffering from cold.
- weak immune system
all the above-mentioned factors can cause cold so try to prevent cold as much as you can.
Here is a list of our home remedies for cold:
1. Gargle with water – the simplest and most effective way to get rid of cold and cough is to apply this technique. Just mix 1/4 – 1/2 tablespoon of salt in warm water ,gargle it and spit it out. Try this for 2-3 times and 4 times a day. you will see the cold getting away within a day or two.
2. Fluid intake – staying hydrated should be your top priority when you are suffering from cold in fact researches have proved that taking fluids can alleviate a running nose and kick out the cold from your body and provide you relief. confused about what to take as fluids well just read the below points carefully.
- Herbal teas
- Black tea
- warm water
- warm fruit juice
3. Steam technique – this is my personal favourite technique because using this one the cold gets alleviated within hours. You can use this method in two ways – 1. Take a hot shower bath and let the bathroom get filled with the steam. Now just stay in this steam for some time (a few minutes ) and you will see the results yourself.
Well, I know no one likes to take a bath when suffering from cold so here is the second steam method you can try.
Just take a bowl from your kitchen, fill this bowl with hot water – add some herbs or essential oil such as rosemary. Now lean over the bowl ( distance should be approx 10-15cm for best results) and make sure to cover your head with a towel so that the stream gets trapped inside. Now inhale the vapour for 5-10 minutes or till the water temperature declines and thanks us later.
4. Try Pineapple
why pineapple? why not any other fruit?
Pineapple can do magic to your body and surely kicks out the cold that is bothering you from so long. It contains Bromelain – an enzyme that has anti-inflammatory properties and also has mucolytic properties which break down the mucus and remove it from your body.
But a point to be noted here is anyone of you who intakes blood thinners or any specific anti-biotics should not try Bromelain or any bromelain supplements because it can lead to allergic issues.
5. Chicken soup Not only it is tasty but also has certain properties that make chicken soup the best home remedy for cold. It contains a natural amino acid called cysteine which has similar content to a drug called acetylcysteine that doctors suggest for people suffering from respiratory problems.
This amino acid helps to thin the mucus thereby making it easier to eliminate from the body.
chicken soup also possesses other anti-inflammatory properties that help you to get the cold and cough v=allievated from your body. So don’t forget to add chicken soup to your list of home remedies for cold.
6. Air humidifier – one of the most essential stuff to buy during the winter season is air humidifier. It provides clean air that helps to keep our nasal passage moist .clean and healthy. It also relieves your mood and provides a better sleep which is undoubtedly necessary to get relief from the cold. Dont forget to add this in your list of best home remedies for cold
7. Echinacea – it is just a simple flowering plant but known for its effective results to eliminate cold. There are various recipes of echinacea that are effective for the people suffering from a cough and cold
- Echinacea tincture
- Echinacea tea recipe
- Elderberry Echinacea syrup
8. Vitamin C – the deficiency of vitamin C can weaken your immune system thereby making your body more vulnerable to infections, most probably the main reason for you becoming a victim of cold is the deficiency of this vitamin.
Vitamin C reduces the cold severity thus making it less severe and possibly helps to recover our body fast. Intake of vitamin C decreases the recovery time too.
foods that are rich in vitamin C are – Strawberry,grapefruit, kiwifruit, pineapple, papaya, mango.
9. Turmeric milk – also known as golden milk, proves to be the best remedy for treating cold and cough. It has many anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties that lessen down the severity of cold you suffer from and also boosts your immunity.
How to prepare a turmeric milk –
- Take 1 glass of turmeric milk
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Add sugar to taste and you are done
Using turmeric milk as a cold reliever for 3-4 days is absolutely alright.
10. Besan ( gram flour)
Widely used in the Indian houses for treatement of cold and running nose. often called as besan ka sheera , this dish contains antioxidants thus clears your nasal tract and prevent infections.
11. Black pepper tea
Pepper is not just a normal spice, rather it’s a magical spice that proves to be an astounding reliever for the people suffering from cold. It is also known for its antibiotic properties that can save you from the severity of cold and cough.
ingredients for black pepper tea
- Take 1 cup water
- 1/4 tablespoon tea powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp of honey
the process of preparing this tea is same as making a normal tea, but you can add cinnamon or turmeric to it for best results.
Cold is a viral infection that can happen to anyone, the reasons are weak immune system, not having a hydrated body, smoking, carelessness during winters, unhygienic habits such as not washing hands at regular intervals etc can cause cold but you can easily lessen down the severity of cold and get rid of it by using the above-mentioned Home Remedies For Cold and cough.